Main Course: Simple Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound any lean ground meat
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 small package mushrooms (227 grams), finely chopped or 1 can sliced mushrooms (284 mL), rinsed then drained, finely chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts (227 mL) or ½ cup walnuts, finely chopped
- ¼ cup minute rice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, preferably low sodium
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sesame oil or 1 teaspoon sesame seeds (optional)
- ½ cup water
- 1 large or 2 small heads iceberg or bibb lettuce
Directions for Preparation
- Cook the first three ingredients in a pot with a lid for 10 minutes. Break up the meat into small pieces as it cooks. Drain the excess fat.
- To the same pot, add the mushrooms and the chestnuts or walnuts. Cook until mushrooms are softened, about 5 minutes then add the minute rice.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the lettuce. Stir and cover for about 5 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Cut around the core at the bottom of the lettuce using a small knife. Dig out the core.
- Gently peel back each leaf and rinse with cold water. Set on a clean kitchen towel to dry.
- To serve, set the table with the lettuce leaves and the hot meat mixture.
- To eat, give everyone a spoon and show them how to place a big spoonful of meat mixture in the middle of a lettuce leaf, fold up the sides and eat.
You can replace lettuce in this recipe with 8 small whole wheat tortillas.