Main Course: Chicken Pot Pie with Mashed Potato Crust
Servings: 6 servings
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 7 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tablespoon non hydrogenated margarine
- ½ cup milk
- 6 skinless/boneless chicken thighs or 4 skinless/boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups frozen vegetable mix like peas and carrots
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried sage or poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 can (354 mL) evaporated milk, preferably 2%
Directions for Preparation
1. Put the potatoes in a large pot
and cover with water. On high heat bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
2. Drain the potatoes and let them sit for 5 minutes. Place the potatoes back into the pot and mash with the milk and margarine. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a large 4-qt. casserole dish with oil.
4. In layers, scatter the frozen veggies, then onion and chicken into the bottom of the casserole dish.
5. In a medium size bowl, add the flour and seasonings. Slowly stir in the evaporated milk until the mixture is smooth. Pour over the chicken mixture.
6. Gently top with mashed potatoes and spread them to the sides of the casserole dish.
7. Cover with aluminum foil.
8. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and turn the upper burner on low to brown the potatoes for an additional 15 minutes.
9. Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
This dish can be placed in the fridge after step #7. and baked the following day. You can replace chicken pieces in this recipe with ground chicken or turkey.