Snack: Chocolate Orange Pancakes
Servings: 10 small 6 inch pancaks
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 oranges
- ¼ cup plain oats
- 1 ½ cup pancake mix
- ¼ cup cocoa
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ - ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Directions for Preparation
1. Zest one orange. Then cut both oranges in half and squeeze out the juice.
2. Place the juice in a medium bowl with the oats, pancake mix, chocolate chips and ¼ cup of milk.
3. Gently stir until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
4. Heat a small frying pan or griddle over medium heat and add a little vegetable oil.
5. Scoop batter into a small round frying pan. Cook until bubbles form on the surface of the pancake.
6. Flip and cook for 1-2 more minutes.
7. Repeat for the remaining pancakes.
To zest the orange, drag a vegetable peeler down the fruit from top to bottom, turn the orange then repeat on the other sides. Don’t press too hard as you run along the orange. The thin orange skin is flavour powerhouse. Leave behind the white, bitter pith that lies underneath. Chop the strips of zest into fine pieces.