Main Course: Shepherd’s Pie
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine (optional) ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ cup milk
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 pound ground meat, any kind such as wild meat or ground chicken
- 1 package (227 grams) fresh sliced mushrooms, chopped or 1 can (284mL) sliced mushrooms, rinsed & drained
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetable like peas and carrots
- 1 ½ tablespoons flour
- ¼ teaspoon thyme or any dried herb like oregano or parsley
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce or 2 teaspoons soy sauce
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- Place the potatoes in a pot and fill with cold water. Bring to a low boil.
- Meanwhile, fry the ground meat and onion in a large frying pan. Stir often breaking the meat into smaller pieces. Once cooked, drain the fat and stir in the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Once the potatoes are soft, drain and return to the pot. Add the margarine, garlic powder, salt and ¼ cup of milk. Mash until smooth. Add more milk if needed.
- Place the flour in a small bowl. Slowly stir in the water until the flour dissolves. Add the dried herbs and the Worcestershire or soy sauce.
- In a large, deep baking dish (about 9 inches by 13 inches) spread out the ground beef and mushroom mixture. Pour in the water-flour mixture.
- Sprinkle on the frozen vegetables then spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until the potatoes have golden edges and the juice is bubbling around the edge.
For a lower carbohydrate recipe, replace 2 potatoes with 2 cups cauliflower florets, fresh or frozen. Add them to the boiling pot of potatoes and mash all together.