Main Course: Potato and Carrot Hotchpotch
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine or butter or vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions or 1 large onion, thinly chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup evaporated milk
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, heat the margarine, butter or oil until warm. Add the onions. Stir often until golden. Set aside
- In the same pot (no need to wash it), add about 4 cups of water. Bring up to a boil. Add the carrots and place the lid on the pot. Cook until almost soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Even if not covered with water, the steam will cook the potatoes. Place the lid on the pot. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes
- Drain well.
- Place the carrots, potatoes, and onions back into the pot. Pour in the milk. Mash until you get the consistency your family likes. Add more milk if needed.
- Serve warm.
Evaporated (canned) milk has a creamy taste without the fat of cream plus it has calcium and Vitamin D. Transfer leftover evaporated milk into an airtight container. Refrigerate for 5-7 days. Use leftovers in baked goods, pancakes, French toast or in your coffee.