Main Course: Salmon Potato Croquettes
- 1 ½ cups cold mashed potatoes
- 1 can (about 213 grams) salmon, drained and well-mashed with a fork
- ¼ cup grated onion or 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- ½ cup breadcrumbs or wheat germ or crushed soda crackers
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Optional: ¼ teaspoon dried dill or parsley
- Optional: Replace ½ cup of the mashed potato with sweet potato, carrot or butternut squash
Directions for Preparation
- In a medium bowl, mix the first four ingredients until well combined.
- Form 1 tablespoon of the potato mixture into a ball then flatten into a ½ inch patty. Press the flattened ball into the breadcrumbs or wheat germ or crushed soda crackers. Then repeat on the other side. Place on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining croquettes.
- If possible, store in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden the croquettes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan. Place croquettes in the sizzling oil. Flip when golden brown. Repeat for the remaining croquettes.
- Cool on paper towel
Canned salmon is rich in protein, vitamin D, calcium (from the bones) and healthy omega-3 fats. Omega-3 fats are heart-healthy fats and promote healthy brain development in babies.