Snack: Quick Pickled Onions
Servings: 2 ½ cups
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 2 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, very thinly slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- Pack the onions into mason jars or a similar heat-safe container.
- In a small saucepan, combine the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat, then carefully pour the mixture into the jar(s) over the onions.
- Use a butter knife or spoon to press the onions down into the vinegar.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate leftover pickled onions for later.
These onions are the perfect topping for burgers and grilled sausages. The best part is they are ready in 30 minutes!