Snack: Blueberry Oat Loaf
Servings: 2 small or 1 large loaf
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 min minutes
- 1 cup oats, large flake oats preferred
- ½ cup boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- ½ cup + 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1 ¼ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind (optional)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup milk
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350 ° F and grease one large or two standard loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, pour the boiling water over the oats. Stir then set aside to cool.
- In another medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, ½ cup sugar, apple, blueberries and lemon rind.
- Once the oats are cooled, stir in the remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently mix until combined.
- Pour the batter evenly into the pan(s). Sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. A single loaf will take longer to cook than 2 smaller ones.
Stay energized by planning nutritious snacks into your day but be aware of portion sizes. Cut small loaves into 8, and large loaves into 14 slices and stick to a single slice at snack time.