Main Course: World’s Simplest Roasted Turkey
All you need are a few simple ingredients to achieve a golden roasted bird.
- 1 small turkey (about 4 pounds or 2 kilograms), thawed in the fridge
- ¼ cup Italian dressing
- 1 teaspoon dried sage or poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Remove the neck and giblets from inside the turkey or chicken. Cook the neck and giblets separately or put them in the fridge if you plan to use them later to make gravy.
- Place the turkey in a pan, breast side up. Rub with the dressing and sprinkle on the seasonings.
- Cover with foil being careful not to let the foil touch the bird otherwise it will stick to the skin once cooked.
- Place in the oven. Baste the bird with pan drippings every 30 minutes to keep it moist.
- Roast until done. (See below for more information on cooking time).
- To brown the skin, uncover for the last 20-30 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.
This recipe can easily be doubled for a larger bird. Cooking time varies. It is cooked when a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast reads 82°C (180F°). *Cooking time and serving size are for a small bird.