Snack: Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
Servings: 14-16 bars
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 bananas
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ - 1 tablespoon cinnamon (depending on your taste)
- ¾ cups milk
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- ¼ cup brown sugar
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 325°C. Grease a 7” x 11” baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana. Stir in the eggs, oil, cinnamon and milk.
- Mix in the rolled oats. Let sit in the liquid for 5 minutes to soften the oats.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the brown sugar.
- Spread out the mixture into the greased dish then sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- While it is still warm, using a spatula cut out bars in the size and shape you desire but do not remove from the pan. Place in the fridge for a few hours to set the bars. Pop these in a plastic bag in the freezer. Grab individual bars when needed.
Oats are a powerhouse of fibre and nutrients. If a bowl of warm oatmeal is not your thing, here is a recipe for baked oatmeal bars that are an easy on-the-go breakfast or snack.