Snack: Classic Creamy Rice Pudding
- ½ cup rice (any type except instant rice)
- 2 cans (354 mL) evaporated milk
- 2 cups fresh milk*
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 egg yolks
- Cinnamon to taste
Directions for Preparation
- In a medium-sized pot, add all the ingredients except the eggs yolks and cinnamon.
- Bring up to a boil and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook stirring frequently for 60 – 90 minutes or until the rice is very tender.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a small bowl. Slowly add ½ cup of the hot pudding to the yolks while mixing it constantly to prevent the yolks from separating.
- Add the egg yolks and more milk if needed to the pot.
- Bring up to a gentle boil for about 5 minutes stirring constantly until the pudding thickens. Add cinnamon to taste. Once the pudding cools, add more milk if needed.
*Cooking time and the amount of milk added will depend on the type of rice used. Brown rice will take the longest and will need the most milk to soften the nutritious but tough outer layer. Chill in the fridge by pressing plastic wrap directly onto the top of the pudding to avoid a film from forming.