Main Course: Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 8 cooked chicken drumsticks or thighs or 4 chicken breasts, shredded or cut into pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried herbs like poultry seasoning or thyme
- 4 cups peas and carrots frozen vegetables, thawed and drained
- 6 medium size potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup water
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Grease a large casserole dish.
- Add the first ingredients to the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top the meat with the vegetables.
- Layer on the thin slices of potato until the casserole is evenly covered.
- Put the flour in a small bowl. Slowly stir in the water until smooth. Stir in the milk.
- Pour the milk mixture over the casserole.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, lower the heat to 350 °F and cook for a remaining 30 or until the potatoes are golden brown.
Chicken pot pie with a mashed potato crust is a comfort food classic. For a change, switch out the potato topping with biscuits.