Soup: Creamy Potato Soup
Servings: 10 servings
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 medium-size onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine or vegetable oil
- 2 carrots washed and roughly chopped
- 8 medium-size potatoes washed, peeled and cubed
- 2 teaspoons powdered chicken or vegetable stock/bouillon, preferably low sodium
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 8 cups water
- *1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, warm up the margarine on medium heat and brown the onions.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the shredded cheese and bring up to a boil.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.
- Take off the stove and let cool for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Blend the soup using a hand blender. If you don’t have a hand blender, you can use an upright blender. But you must let the soup cool completely or splashes could cause a severe burn. Add water if the soup is too thick.
- Serve the soup and sprinkle each bowl with cheese.
On a cold winter’s day warm up with a welcoming bowl of soup. Potatoes are a very high source of potassium. A diet rich in potassium has been linked to heart and bone health and may reduce the risk of stroke and coronary heart disease. Other high potassium foods are carrots, beans, tomato paste, sweet potatoes and bananas. Eat up.