Main Course: Classic Hamburger and Macaroni Casserole
- 1-pound lean ground meat, any kind
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 medium can beans like chickpeas or kidney beans (398 mL), rinsed and drained
- 1 large can diced tomatoes (796 mL)
- 2 boxes macaroni and cheese
- 1 ½ cups milk
Directions for Preparation
- In a large pot, cook the first three ingredients for about 15 minutes.
- Stir continually breaking apart the larger pieces of meat as it cooks.
- Add the tomatoes and beans. Cook covered for another 15 minutes.
- Add the noodles from both macaroni and cheese boxes but only one cheese pouch. Stir in the milk.
- Let cook on low until the noodles are almost soft.
- Stir gently from the bottom to release any noodles stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and let sit for a few minutes before serving.
This is a fam favorite that makes a big batch using just a few simple ingredients. By only adding one of the cheese pouches, the salt content of this meal is significantly reduced. Feel free to use 1 ½ cups dry macaroni noodles instead of another box of macaroni noodles.