Snack: Fluffy Oat Bannocks
Servings: 12 servings
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup oats, any kind
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 cups flour, plus more for kneading and patting
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cold butter, grated
Directions for Preparation
- Place the first three ingredients
- in a large bowl and let sit.
- Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Grease a cookie sheet.
- Add all the dry ingredients in another bowl.
- Use a cheese grater to grate the butter then add it to the oat mixture.
- Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir gently until the dough holds together.
- Tip the dough out of the bowl onto a well-floured counter or cutting board.
- Dust your hands with flour. Knead gently a couple of times.
- Pat into an 8-inch square about ½ inch thick.
- Cut the dough into three columns from the top to the bottom of the square using a floured knife.
- Then cut each column in to 4 rows from left to right using a floured knife.
- Use a floured spatula to transfer the bannocks onto the greased cookie sheet leaving space between them.
- Bake until golden brown.
Serve warm, fresh from the oven. This is a simple recipe for a light and fluffy classic no-rise little rectangular-shaped bannocks.