Snack: Cinnamon Apple Rice Pudding
- 1 cup rice (any type except instant rice)
- 1 ½ to 2 cans (354 mL) 2% evaporated milk*
- 2 cups water
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon non-hydrogenated margarine or butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cinnamon to taste
- 3 apples, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated margarine or butter
Directions for Preparation
- In a medium-size pot, add 1 can of evaporated milk and the rest of the pudding ingredients.
- Bring up to a boil and reduce to a low simmer. Cook stirring frequently with the lid on until the rice is soft, about 30-45 minutes. *
- Meanwhile, add the apple topping ingredients into a small saucepan. Bring up to a low boil, stir and cover with a lid. Cook until apples are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Once the rice is soft, stir in another cup or more* of evaporated milk depending on the thickness you desire.
- Place the pudding in a dish. If serving right away, top with the apple topping. Otherwise, let set in the fridge. Re-heat the apple topping right before serving.
As the weather gets colder, this creamy pudding topped with warm apple topping is the perfect Fall time treat.
*Cooking time and the amount of milk added will depend on the type of rice used. Chill in the fridge by pressing plastic wrap directly onto the top of the pudding to avoid a film from forming.