Snack: Blueberry Oat Squares
Servings: 12 squares
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 45-60 minutes
- 2 ½ cup oats (not instant)
- ½ cup flour
- ¾ cup sugar, white or brown
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, melted
- 3 ½ cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tablespoons lemon/lime or orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime zest (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or flour
Directions for Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish or cake pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Stir in the butter/margarine until all the oats are coated.
- Press half of the oat mixture into the pan.
- In another bowl, mix together the blueberry filling, and spread on top of the oat base in the baking dish.
- Top evenly with the leftover oat mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes if using fresh blueberries, or 60 minutes is using frozen blueberries.
- Let cool completely before cutting into squares. Serve with yogurt.
What could be better than tart blueberries and crunchy oats? This no-stress recipe is easy to whip up anytime someone is coming over for tea or anytime really.