National Banana Split Day
It’s August 25, which means… HAPPY NATIONAL BANANA SPLIT DAY EVERYONE!!!
Staying healthy is nice and all but having some banana split now and then can’t hurt. And as people say, you can’t buy happiness but you can certainly buy a banana split which is practically the same thing. Happiness is good for the soul
It’s been a rough year for all of us with the Covid-19 situation. It’s risky to go outside these days because you never know if someone has touched what you’re about to touch and may carry the virus.
So here are two recipes that you can make from home and enjoy with your love ones or by yourself.
Both recipes use yogurt instead of ice cream to make it a little healthier.
1. Banana Split (with chocolate sauce)
- 2 bananas
- 1 cup of Greek yogurt (or 2 scoops frozen Greek yogurt)
- 2-3 tbsp strawberry jam
- ¾ cup fresh strawberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tbsp toasted oats
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- In a small saucepan, combine cocoa powder and sugar. Whisk until all lumps are removed.
- Add a pinch of salt and water.
- Bring to boil over medium heat and gradually stir.
- Reduce to simmer, stir until smooth and thick.
- Remove from heat, let it cool and add vanilla extract. Mix.
- Pour into a glass jar with lid and refrigerate.
1. While sauce is being
refrigerated, peel and slice the bananas in half. Place halves each side of
desired plate bowl/shallow bowl.
2. Add a couple of strawberries between the slices and top with Greek yogurt.
3. Add the rest of the berries on top.
4. Sprinkle with toasted oats and almonds. Drizzle chocolate sauce.
5. Ta-da! Time to eat and enjoy.
2. Banana split (Breakfast)
- 2 bananas
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup strawberries
- ½ blueberries
- ½ raspberries
- 2-3 tbsp peanut butter or almond butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp chopped almonds (or any desired nuts)
- Peel and slice bananas lengthwise. Place in plate in an “X” form.
- Top with Greek yogurt and spread.
- Add all berries and sprinkle with almonds (or desired nuts).
- Drizzle with peanut butter (or almond butter) and maple syrup.
- And you’re done, time to eat!!